Friday, November 18, 2005

November 18, 2002

Have you ever all of a sudden thought you can't imagine life without someone yet you know they weren't always there?

One day I was driving down the road. Thinking in a rare moment of peace.

How long it's been that J has been there. Seems like forever, but my common sense knows better.

It was a Monday.

It was rainy. Cold. Not middle of the winter cold. But there was a chill in the air.

I was just finishing up my first semester at the University of MN. I'd transferred in from North Park.

It had been a long semester. It had been a hard adjustment going from a private, liberal arts school to a large, big 10 campus. Most of my friends were still in Chicago, and I even still contemplated returning there.

I had just gotten done working. I was a nanny for three little boys. I had a 6:30pm appointment with a seamstress to get a dress altered for a wedding I was going to be in soon.

I got my drink. Sat down at a table by the window and opened up my notebook. Much to do. I was getting ready to leave for a trip to Sweden with my friend Anne. I'd return for two weeks of classes and finals and then a trip to Michigan for a friends wedding.

There were friends having coffee. Couples chatting. Workers goofing around.

In walked a man. He looked at me. Smiled.

I looked back down and started working on my school work. I believe it was Economics.

This man, sat down at the table next to mine.

There were two little old ladies, talking about their NEW library cards. How exciting!

I started laughing aloud. I couldn't believe that this was the excitement in their lives. This man too chuckled. Then looked over and asked what I was working on.

I informed him I was doing some school work. And asked if he was doing the same.

"No, I'm doing some work, work."

He smiled.

"I'm Jeff"

Somehow we ended up in conversation. We chatted for a long while, until I needed to head out.

He watched me walk to my car and leave.

We had our first "date" that Friday. Coffee.

He told me he was drawn to me. My smile and sunny disposition had greeted him. Sometimes I joke it was the nanny factor drawing him over. But I know better.

He also told me a little about him.

I thought it would be our first and last date. I enjoyed talking to him, liked him enough but...he was 8 years older, had been married, and the real kicker, he had two little ones. M was 1 and T was 3.

It would never work. I told myself.

I left the following Sunday for Sweden.

I returned and found an email from him waiting.

We went out again.

And again.

I left for Michigan for a wedding. I'd return two days before Christmas.

And somewhere between the time we met and Christmas, I decided I could try it.

I decided that I liked this man enough to try.

I met the kids.

People told me I was crazy. That it'd never work.

They shook their disapproving heads and tsk tsk's.

And I almost believed them.

Almost.

Until I fell in love.

I knew.

Life happens.

November 18, 2003.

I was still a nanny.

Three weeks left of school before graduation.

J and I were leaving for London and Greece in just a couple days.

I was on my way to meet my Spanish tutor so I could pass the fluency exam at school. (A former requirement at the University of MN)

I arrived at Starbucks. The one we'd met at a year prior. To find J awaiting. With roses, candles and coffee.

He asked me to be his wife.

And I said yes.

Of course.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

oh my gosh, i never knew how jeff proposed!!!! i'm sitting on the floor of my living room reading this and have the goofiest smile on my face. HOW GREAT! it was so nice to meet jeff the other night and to spend some time with the two of you. you are such a beautiful couple. i can't wait for steve to spend some time with you guys too. i told him we should move to mn so we could all be friends. :)