Election
I did my part and voted on Tuesday. With three children in tow, and 100 questions about the entire process...we made it through, got our stickers and waited. There were many pieces of the election, but like I said on an earlier post, the Senate race and Mark Kennedy had my attention.
Last night I was on the phone with Megan. She has been very politically involved in some elections in Michigan. I asked her, so what does someone like Mark Kennedy do the next day? After spending so much time working, fighting, talking...what do you do the day after? When you find out, it's not you they want? Does one mourn? Go on a long vacation? Pretend all is ok? I'd love to know, how do you pick yourself up and move on?
This morning, I decided I would check Mark Kennedy's website to see if he had added anything since Election Day. And sure enough he did...
These are his statements at the close of the election:
St. Paul, Minnesota, Nov 8 -
We didn’t get the result we have worked for. But there is no shame in losing, only in not fighting.
Teddy Roosevelt would commend us all for being in the arena, not merely being a critic, for spending ourselves in a worthy cause, and even though failing, doing so while daring greatly.
Winston Churchill said, “Success is never permanent, failure is never fatal, the only thing that really counts is courage.”
There are so many who have been in the arena with me, who have shown great courage for what we believe, to all of you I am eternally grateful. We’d be here all night if I named all of you …and those are just the ones named Kennedy.
You all know how important family is to me. I’d like to pay special thanks to my parents, Eugene and Alvina…
Our Children, Charles, Emily, Sarah and Peter
In particular, let me thank the love of my life, Debbie Kennedy…
My brothers and sisters and Debbie’s family, the Millers, have also given so much to this effort.
Let me thank also, my staff. They’ve given it their all. Despite all the challenges of the past 21 months, they’ve kept working, kept giving it absolutely everything they had. I’m so appreciative to all of you.
Finally, let me thank the thousands of volunteers across this wonderful state who gave so much of your time and talent, you knocked on doors and made phone calls when all the so-called experts said you shouldn’t bother. I will never forget what you did for me.
The things we believe in are more important than one man or one election. The things we believe in are timeless, even eternal.
Throughout this campaign, I spoke consistently about the need to defend the values that made America great, the need to keep taxes low so we can keep growing jobs in Minnesota so our kids have even better opportunities than we had, and, most importantly, I talked about the need to win this War on Terrorism so that America stays free and our families stay safe.
Tonight’s results tonight don’t change that. We must not change our principles based on the polls, or even an election. There is no honor in abandoning the things we believe in pursuit of political success. Honor comes from doing what is right, no matter what the political consequences.
I believe there is no greater challenge than for our generation than to defeat the radical jihadist threat that plagues us, and the world. If we don’t take this threat as seriously as those before us took the threats of Nazism and Communism, then our children and grandchildren will pay a terrible price for our lack of leadership.
No matter where I go from here; no matter where I am called, I will keep speaking out about the threat we face. I will work to help all Minnesotans, all Americans to understand what is at stake and what must be done.
Let me close with 2nd Timothy: “I have fought the good fight; I have finished the course; I have kept the faith.”
Keep up the Good Fight. Keep moving down the course. Keep the Faith.
Thank you and God bless you all.
That's what one does the day after, they keep up the fight, keep moving the course and keep the faith. Though I'm sure Mr. Kennedy will never stumble across my blog...I'd like to thank him for keeping the faith/values and not being afraid to say so.
No comments:
Post a Comment