Monday, February 19, 2007

Doctor Doctor

Dear Park Nicollet,

I have been a patient for a long time. I delivered my baby at Methodist Hospital and have loved each doctor I have worked with. While I think I will remain your patient I have decided it is time for Henry to move on.

It frustrates me when I call the pediatrics department to set up an appointment and sit on hold. For long stretches of time.

When I finally get to talk to someone (after hearing the recording tell me about using the website) I then find out that all of the pediatricians are booked. Booked not only today and tomorrow. But all week.

When I put up a stink and you give me an obligatory appointment. I feel relieved.

But when I come in and end up sitting in the urgent care waiting room with people who are coughing loudly into breathing masks. Bleeding profusely from their hands. And vomiting into buckets. I feel my son and I may leave here sicker than we entered.

Finally we arrive in the exam room. Where we wait for the nurse to quit chit chatting with the other nurses about her fabulous weekend. Or what she's having for lunch.

Once she has taken my son's temp and tells me how un-sick he looks. We again wait.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Have you ever sat in an exam room waiting with an almost 10 month old child? Minutes feel like hours.

Finally the doctor arrives.

Looks in one ear.

Looks in the other.

And proudly announces: "It could go either way."

Meaning????

"It could be infected. It might not be infected. I'll write you a prescription and it's up to you if you'd like to fill it. I think we're about finished eh?"

Yes Park Nicollet...We are finished. Once and for all.

Sincerely,

A former peds patient

This post was specifically referring to last Tuesday when I called and took H in because he was pulling on his ear. I did give him the amoxicillin and that seemed to help so all is again well with the world.

4 comments:

Chris and Abbie said...

i love that YOU had to decide if henry was sick...you could have done that at home!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good deal to me. LOL At least you get a prescription the 1st time, I have "children's ears", eustachian tube never straightened out. My docs wait until it's full blown to give me antibiotics when they believe it looks like it could go either way. That way they guarantee the cash flow, double the copays and office visit charges to the insurance company. I've found the NOW Care going the same route. Perhaps that is why you see such "ill and injured" waiting to see the doc's.

Butrfly Garden said...

I dare you send it.
I am an avid letter writer, and have written many to health care providers. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it does nothing, but if nothing else, at least you know they heard you.
But don't fool yourself to think there is a clinic that is much better. They all have a lot of faults. Mainly that they are part of the health care system!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! What an ordeal you had! I agree! I think you should send that too!