Two Moms.
The picture above was drawn by M the other day. She's quite the artist and always surprises us with her insightful drawings and pictures. I asked her what the picture was of.
"God's Moms." She told me in all seriousness.
I asked her again later on, what's the picture of again? What does it mean? She looked at me like I was dense. How in the world could I not 'get it'?
"These two ladies, are God and Jesus's moms. He has two. Just like me. OK?"
I didn't know if I should laugh. Or should I cry. Should I try to explain? Should I leave it be?
To her, there is no difference. She's got two homes, two families and that is ok by her. It's interesting to see a child like her process where's she's at.
This last week the New York Times had a couple different articles written about Rudy Guiliani's marital issues. Moreso, the issues his son has with his current wife. His son is so hurt, so betrayed in a way, that he will not even support his father's presidential campaign. But would you if you were in his shoes?
The article that struck most with me was this one.
When I see articles labeled Blended Families, Divorce, Remarriage, Stepfamilies. My interests are piqued.
I AM one of the statistics they so often refer to.
My husband is one of them.
As are my stepchildren.
And now my son.
WE, as one unit, make up those statistics. The stories and articles hit home. We relate.
And let me tell you...had someone ever told me I'd be part of this...I'd have laughed so hard I would have broke a bone.
Just as one can never be completely prepared to have a baby...one can never be prepared to be a stepparent. One can never know exactly what that looks like, what that feels like. Until you're there, in the throws of it.
I don't want to compare it to adoption, because that is innacurate. But it is a 'chosen' love.
And I had to 'earn' the love and respect of my stepchildren. They did not choose to have this life. But I 'chose' them by choosing to marry their father.
I had to 'earn' the respect from their mother. I do not know that I would have ever handled another woman in my children's lives with the grace and courage that she has met me with. I mean that.
I would be too jealous. Too prideful. Too insecure. To share my son in the way she has had to share her children with me.
I like to think we have one of the best case scenarios.
We live in close proximity to their mother. We all get along. Their mother and I especially get along.
Has it always been the case?
I'd be lying if I said yes.
And I'm sure there's a bad day or two that will still come up down the road.
Such. Is. Life.
We have all had our moments. A situation like ours brings out both the best and worst in all of us.
But we've grown up. Together. And joined forces for our combined interests.
And I hope that T and M (and even H) someday see that there is no doubt in their minds that there are so many people who love them. People who are praying them through. People who are confident that these little people are worth it.
"Respect is our saving grace."
Well put, New York Times. Agreed.
5 comments:
You are amazing...and I don't like to use that over-used word all that much, saving it for special occasions and special people. Jeff, Tyler, Madison and Henry are blessed to have such a thoughtful, senstive, intellegent, caring and fun person like you in their lives!
As is Anne. Thanks for loving her, too.
Your comment on my recent blog was
nice; thank you. Sometimes I think I'm writing to no one, really, just to post trivialities from our lives. I hadn't written for a bit because I got sick first, then care of my Mom took over. Truly, we are a part of the sandwich generation, and no one told us we would have empty nests and ailing parents to make decisions for/about all at the same time...along with other issues of being in our fifties.
You take care of yourself, okay?
You matter to a whole lot of people!
What a beautiful post Samara! I just love it!
lovely!
Well, put, Samara, well put. You are such a beautiful writer!
Thanks so much Samara for your kind words on my blog! I really appreciate it. I'm one of your "lurkers" too!
- Kjersten
Post a Comment