Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years Later part two

Tonyell McDay had a big smile and a big heart. She loved her family and was full of life. At 25, she worked in the World Trade Center for Marsh Technologies. She loved computers. She lived with her mom and dad, and was one of those people who truly loved living at home with them. She was a mentor and friend to her 17 year old brother, she would take him shopping and out for fun.
She loved life and showed this in everything she did. She saved up her own money to take her family on vacation because she loved being with them and valued that time.
She bought food for those on the streets that were eating out of the trash.

I never knew Tonyell. All I know about her I've read through research online and in magazines. But when I look at her picture I can't help but agree with what everything says. Full of life, full of love. I've read the memories people wrote to her and for her and her family. And she was loved. And she died loving them too.

On September 11th she was running behind for work. Her father would typically drive her to catch the train but that Tuesday he couldn't and she was late already so she rushed out the door. Yelling "I love you, I'll call you" as she left. That was it.

When I look at her picture and look at her big bright smile I think she is beautiful, she is kind, she is caring, she is a person lost that day, she is a daughter, she is a sister, she is a friend.

Five years ago...lives ended. Futures, hopes, dreams, goals gone. Smiles never to be seen again, hearts stopped beating. Tears started rolling.

It is my honor today to honor Tonyell, to remember who she was to those all around her and those who did not even have the privelege to know her.

This project made me stop and think and reflect. It's been easy to turn September 11 into some statistical analysis. We were so quick after the initial attacks to reduce the day to a number...9/11. Political agendas flew around like wildfire, movie and book rights sold. Anyway to make a buck right? NO! WRONG!

I admire the brains behind this project...and his seemingly simple, yet complex request...remember the people. One by one, person by person. Who were they. What were they about. Thank you...

1 comment:

Auntie Lyn said...

What a beautiful smile Tonyell had, thank you for your introduction to her. I'm sure the heavens brightened when she arrived, but oh!, how her loss here on earth must be felt. My thought and prayers go out to her family and friends as they move past this 5th sadiversary.
Rest well Tonyell,
Blessings, Auntie Lyn
Carl Asaro