Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Focus Group

On Tuesday I had the pleasure of participating in a focus group for a legal matter in downtown Minneapolis. The actual focus group content is confidential but I really want to share about the other members of my group...

We had A. She is a single mom in her 40's, she is a psychic and a dog walker. I noticed that her ankle had a cast on it and asked about it. She told me she sprained her ankle and it's been hard on business. She also asked if I had any pets because she also offers in home pet sitting.

We had L. She is a newlywed in her 30's. She lives about 90 miles South of the Twin Cities. She is a make up artist for music videos. Sometimes she also tests AVEDA products on her body. Did I mention she has flourescent pink hair?

We had B. He is in his 20's. Lives in the Minneapolis area. He is a break dance instructor. Sometimes when lessons are slow he contracts out to do window washing as well. He signed up to do the focus group mostly for the food (along with monetary compensation we got breakfast and lunch). He is planning on contacting Converse (at the recommendation of A, the psychic) about being a shoe tester/model.

We had R. He is in his 30's, married to a chemist. He is a freelance graphic designer, currently working on a website for an Austrailian Bed and Breakfast. He was dressed very metro, and initially I thought he played for the other team if you know what I mean.

And then me...I couldn't nearly compare or keep up.

All day I kept thinking, is this candid camera? Are they video taping us to see how well these completely different people interact with each other? (It actually was all video and audio recorded)

At the end we had to come up with a unanimous decision/vote...with five very unique, very different people, needless to say we had a hard time...and actually ran out of time.

It is not often one can come in contact with people who seem utterly and complexly different. But this is what makes up our world. People. With different appearances. Different stories and experiences. Different backgrounds.

It's only at times like this, when I'm confronted with difference do I realize how monotonous and plain things can be. How sometimes we isolate ourselves to people just like us.

Challenge yourself, make friends with someone completely different than you. Say hi and engage in a conversation with one who seems utterly opposite.

Your whole world may change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity. Always fun to meet new people.

Megasue said...

what a great experience for you simplicity. makes me think about all of those crazies we met during our chicago days. they certainly livened up our weekends, didn't they?

Lindahl News 2 said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post...it is written so beautifully and the message is profound. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. And I agree with you that it is good to get out of that comfort zone every now and then; it's such a fresh breath of air from the regular routines we get ourselves into.