Friday, December 15, 2006

Humankind

This morning on the radio, I was listening to the KS95 Morning Show. This past weekend they did a "Stuff the Bus" event. Basically they ask listeners to come to metro areas and donate NEW unwrapped toys for the Salvation Army.

Greg, one of the DJ's was at one of the locations this weekend and had an interesting experience. He had a man approach him in Blaine. This man explained that him and his wife were on their way home to Green Bay, WI from San Diego, CA. They had car problems in Nebraska and spent all the money they had to get the car fixed. THey need two tanks of gas to get home to Green Bay...Would Greg help him out?

Greg explained that this was a nerve racking decision. Should he give the people $50 to get home? Should he not?

He told the couple no and explained that it wasn't them but it was all the people who've scammed him in the past. All the people claiming to need it for this or that and then totally scamming him. He said this decision has haunted him since the weekend.

A caller called into the radio named Rick, he said that his profession is asking people for money at gas stations. He works part time but says that asking for money pays better. He targets gas stations around the Mall of America especially around the holidays. He said he gets 40% yes, and 60% no answers when he asks. But he perseveres. But...he doesn't really NEED the money. He COULD get a job full time. He is NOT homeless, he is NOT disabled and moreover he IS smart. Smart enough to pull this scam.

I was frustrated as I listened. Frustrated, sad and concerned. Not every person asking for a handout is a scammer. And not every person asking for a handout really needs it. So how does one make a decision to help someone or not?

Whatever happened to the kindness of humankind. I think to myself, I can't imagine being so needy that I would have to stand outside and ask for help. How humiliating! Though I'm sure there are more than one Rick out there, for every scammer I believe there are at least 50 people really needing help. Standing outside out of humiliation, embarrasment...true and desperate need.

I've encountered a lot of homeless people, beggars and people just needing a break. I've not always helped people, sad to say.

One person in particular stands out to me. His name is Clifford, and his corner was Highway 55 and Interstate 94. I took Clifford to Leeann Chin one evening for dinner and he was more appreciative for that dinner than any person I've ever met has been. He truly needed a meal. And I came through.

But there are hundreds, no thousands...of others I haven't come through for. And there are probably a few dozen I've helped who really haven't needed the help.

But should we really go through life with suspicious glasses on? Questioning, judging and analyzing whether someone really NEEDS it or not?

God tells us that our possessions, our money, everything we have is HIS. The Bible says, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it” (Psalm 24:1). Whatever we have has come from the Lord’s hand, and only indirectly by our earning it (1 Chronicles 29:14). So shouldn't we then use it to serve and honor HIM?

I know we are also told to use wisdom and discernment. So maybe then instead of giving someone a cash handout we can take them to the restaurant, buy them a meal...maybe ask them a question or two about who they are? Maybe we can take them to the gas station and get them a gas gift card? Then we know what our money was used for and whether it was TRULY needed or not, doesn't really matter. We did something good for someone."God never gives us discernment in order that we may criticize, but that we may intercede." Oswald Chambers


The next time you see someone looking for help...take off your glasses...take a closer look.

I know in my heart that man is good.
That what is right will always eventually triumph.
And there's purpose and worth to each and every life.
Ronald Reagan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Works of Mercy, or the several Kinds of corporal Alms. The list could be countless...............

Be prudent in your acts of kindness, man's heart is decietful above all can imigine, sluggards and scammers will abound to take advantage. Dadio's

see below.
THE WHOLE DUTY OF A CHRISTIAN,
AND THE PARTS OF DEVOTION FITTED TO ALL OCCASIONS, AND
FURNISHED FOR ALL NECESSITIES.
BY JEREMY TAYLOR, D.D.

The works of mercy are so many as the affections of mercy have objects, or as the world hath kinds of misery. men want meat, or drink, or clothes, or a house, or liberty, or attendance, or a grave. In proportion to these, seven works are usually assigned to mercy, and there are seven kinds of corporal alms reckoned: 1. To feed the hungry;238238Matt. xxv. 35. 2. To give drink to the thirsty; 3. Or clothes to the naked; 4. To redeem captives; 5. To visit the sick; 6. To entertain strangers; 7. To bury the dead.239239Matt. xxvi. 12; 2 Sam. ii. 5. But many more may be added. Such as are, 8. To give physic to sick persons; 9. To bring cold and starved people to warmth and to the fire — for sometimes clothing will not do it, or this may be done when we cannot do the other; 10. To lead the blind in right ways; 11. To lend money; 12. To forgive debts; 13. To remit forfeitures; 14. To mend highways and bridges; 15. To reduce or guide wandering travellers; 16. To ease their labours by accommodating their work with apt instruments, or their journey with beasts of carriage; 17. To deliver the poor from their oppressors; 18. To die for my brother; 19. To pay maidens ‘dowries, and to procure for them honest and chast marriages.