Saturday, March 03, 2007

Checking In.

I figured since it's been three months since I committed to a list of things about "This Year", it'd be a good time to check in and tell people how I've fared so far this year.


#1: I haven't ran once. Nope. Nada. I've had every intention of getting started, but let's face it I live in Minnesota...and it's winter. Now that it's March, once the snow starts melting and the air starts warming up I do plan on running with Henry strapped into the jogger. Really.


#2: I've done A LOT of reading. Books I've read for me:

I couldn't possibly name all the books I've read to the kids, but I will tell you that M is beginning to "get" the concept of reading herself, which is GREAT to watch happen. H's current favorite book is "Good Night Chicago" which was a Dedication gift from Laura. T is still a great reader, though still needs some gentle prodding.


#3: I've gone through the kids closets already and weeded out clothes that are too small or stained. Cleaned out the linen closet for the first time since we've lived here...Ahh! (You'd have to have seen it before to truly appreciate this look)Created a new space for the kids crafts supplies. Gone through the under the sink storage and thrown out old soaps and misc other things we just "had" to save.

#4: Had a meeting with the Star Tribune in early January about freelance opportunities, was asked to do a story at the end of January, that ended up being a day late and a dollar short (due to press releases beating my story). Still pending...Was asked to be a "guest blogger" at Cribsheet. Had a meeting with Minnesota Parent about doing freelance. Still pending....


#5: Can't think of much shopping I've done yet this year besides things we've needed. But something I must continually work on.


#6: With Abbie's engagement, I know I'll for sure be in Chi-town mid June for a shower and Labor Day weekend for the wedding. I'm hoping to squeeze in a March visit for some...DRESS SHOPPING too!

#7: Booked! In May we're going to San Francisco! I can hardly wait, after all the excitement lately I've joked about running away to Mexico.


#8: Working on it. Trying to make sure I make time for those important to me.


#9: We got the storm door, does that count??? It's just been too cold to be installed yet.


#10: Tonight we're having a Family Movie Night, which I think is a good step for me in stopping and spending time with those closest to me. Sometimes I find between baths, homework, meals and bedtime stories, we're just racing from one thing to the next instead of living in the moment with each other. We're going to watch Invincible...I'll let you know how it is.

And you know what keeps me encouraged about my list, even when I haven't met all the things??...when my friend Megan told me what she wrote on her My Space about me...

"Heroes My friend Simplicity who does the things she really wants to do..."

I'm giving it my best dear friends, I am.

3 comments:

Chris and Abbie said...

we're barely into month 3 of the year and you've already done so much with 2007...you should be proud! enjoy your movie night, i'm sure the kids will love it!

and i'm so excited about your Chi-town visits!
abbie

Doughnut said...

You are further ahead then I am with my list. Yes, enjoy that family movie time! BTW your closets look great to me :)

Melissa said...

hooray! you're coming to chicago! i hope i finally get to see you - maybe one of your trips will even coordinate with a grey's night (although at that point they'll be re-runs). :)