Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Church of "Gimmicks"

I grew up at Salem Covenant Church.

It was here I went through confirmation (though I wouldn't recommend it) and went on many missions trips. Made good friends and actually even worked at the church two different summers. Once as the receptionist and once as the Children's Ministry Coordinator. It was here that Jeff and I married.

When I went off to North Park, church was more of hit or miss. Some weeks I was faithful and went to places like DeerGrove Covenant or New Community...other weeks I went to what I like to call Bedside Baptist and listened to Pastor Pillows preach.

When I returned to the great state of Minnesota I again returned to Salem with my family.

When I met J he was attending a church called Venture. My dad liked to call it the "Adventure" church. Jeff and I attended here together for awhile and then started to feel the need to venture out...no pun intended.

We settled on Church of the Open Door and attended there since just before we got married. This church is large. Large is an understatement.

We've attended with thousands of people but have yet to get involved.

Have we tried whole heartedly? Probably not...but it's one of those things that we've struggled with.

So just before Christmas we had a frank discussion where we decided that we needed to find a church home that we are connected to. Where we are involved. Where people know our names. Where we aren't just another face in the crowd.

We promptly started attending Salem again...and though this is a great church and I love to again go to church with my parents...it's home to me, but not Jeff.

Because where everyone knows my name and I flutter from person to person chatting about life and all, J ends up getting left to tend to three children and that's not quite fair.

So again, we're on the prowl for a church. Not a "perfect" church but a church that fits us.

We received a mailer from a starter church locally recently so after some talk J and I decided we'd visit. We visited the first time two Sundays ago...we were late. They had class for both T and M during service so we dropped both off in their respective classes and then dropped H off in the nursery.

We were greeted by lots of friendly people and we entered the service. I thought it was pretty good, while J thought it was ok and that the music was awful loud.

This past weekend while I was away J and the kids decided to attend without me, and again while all the people were friendly and helpful...Jeff wasn't sure of the service again.

Both kids loved the church which is rare with those two. However we think some of their glory may come from the fact the church meets in a movie theater. (Yep, like I said before...starter church) And they also get prizes and goodies for coming to class. If that's not speaking their love language, I don't know what is.

This church is doing their best to get us to return by sending us thank you notes and a Caribou gift card in the mail. (And that's definitely speaking my love language) They also send emails checking in...but yesterday I received an interesting email from a woman there asking me when I wanted to start helping in the nursery. Huh? I've personally only been there once...

J and I chatted again about this church and decided that this isn't it. We are in search of an established church, with more than gimmicks to keep us intriqued.

So we've decided to visit a local Covenant church this next Sunday because we both agree that the Covenant church is a denomination we want to be part of, it's just finding the place.

But the part I'm having a hard time with is that I just want to already be in the place of connection. I already want to be in the place where people know our names, the kids are excited to go and J and I appreciate it...

And I need to remember, much like their are no perfect people, there is no perfect church.

But hopefully there will be a near perfect fit for us soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Church. You will find one. God already has your places reserved. We(I) used to travel from one to another, it wasn't high on mom's list to do but she went along to a point. love you Dad

Anonymous said...

In the "many" church visits I experienced with your dad, finding a church home is much like your personal home. You need to determine what you need in a church to begin with, prioritize those needs, listing those that are required and the things that would be nice perhaps extras. Of course, preaching the Word of God and other important factors not negotiable. A very wise man from may years ago, Earl Williamson, once said to me "if you are determined to find the perfect place of worship you will find yourself all alone in a field somewhere." We wish you the best in your search and wisdom as you go through this. You have our love and support.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the hunt for a good church. i understand the desire to "belong". -aid

Kendra Wheeler said...

I totally understand the struggle. I have been in Chicago again for three years and it took me over two before I found my church...and now I'm leaving! Keep looking though and keep praying that God will guide you to where you are suppose to be. You will find your church and with time, I am sure they wont' even remember what it was like without you!

Kendra Wheeler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'll keep praying that you guys find the right one.. I know you will! Love to you both!

Melissa said...

samara, this is one i can totally sympathize on. you and i should talk more about this when i visit next month, but AMEN sister, do i hear you loud and clear. my prayers and best wishes are for you and jeff and the kids as you seek to find a community that will both embrace and challenge you, while inspiring you to get involved and carve your own niche while learning deep truths about God. no short order, but it's out there.