Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Alma Mater.

One of the colleges I attended goes through these 'calling spurts'.

There was once a time that they called seven different times within two weeks.

They've started on the calling spree again, it's been two nights in a row so far.

The conversations pretty much all start the same with a good butchering of my first, then last name. Then an introduction to the 'exciting' changes on campus.

Then the real purpose shines through...

They ask me to give money to the school to help 'stay connected', be a part of BIG changes.

Obviously the $20k plus I paid the two years I went there just wasn't enough.

Did I mention that was each year?

I usually feel bad for the student callers who are making $7/hour calling and asking folks like me for money, because they just have a list. A random listing of alum. But they sure do crack me up.
Now don't get me wrong, I had a wonderful experience going there for school and made absolutely wonderful friends. I would be absolutely elated should any of my children choose to go there.

It's really that great.

Then there's the other college I attended and eventually graduated from. They don't call.

They write.

Letters requesting money come on a bi-weekly basis. I get magazines on a monthly basis.

But my favorite thing from them had to be the letter I got when H was not even two weeks old...

"Congratulations on the birth of your son...."

Oh, they are SO sweet...I remember thinking.

"...as an alum of one of the largest research institutions in the country we are writing to ask you to help. By signing and returning the enclosed postage-paid card, we will invite your son to participate in various research studies at the university. .... It is because of students such as yourself who allow us to use their children for research that our University of Minnesota College of Human Development truly succeeds..."

Are. You. Joking. Me???

I wish I was.

Hopefully they'll succeed without researching my children.

10 comments:

Chris and Abbie said...

yes, the only reason i am in any support of these callers and writiers, is because i hope that the college students doing the work, are using the money they earn towards their education.

i one time had a caller who when i told her i couldn't give any money, proceeded to ask me "if you could give, how much would it be for?" i answered and she proceeded to tell me, "great, if you can make that donation by june 30 that would be helpful, as it's the end of the fiscal year."

did she hear me? i already said i couldn't give! besides, i often think that the recent-grads and newly employed have LESS money than some of the college students! why don't they wait 10 years and then start calling?

stacey said...

I am sooo glad that they can't get a hold of me. When I left school way back when, I gave them the farm house address, which doesn't exsist anymore, because the farm house was moved down the road. I sure my mom gets stuff from them sometimes, but thankfully she has the presence of mind to pitch them in the trash where they belong. :)
Speaking of people calling, when ever I call my parents after 8pm at night I pretend that I'm a telemarketer to see if they'll hang up or be rude to me! Hee hee hee, i'm a creepy child! Those are the only calls they get at night. My mom gets so mad!

Ann-Marie said...

ugh. i've already told you my frustration with the callers.

but np tried to request a one-time payment of $20.03 from the class of 2003 upon their graduation in exchange for no calls for the first five years they were out of school, and only two or three students took us up on it.

what can ya do?

Brett and Kristin said...

Luckily, NPU doesn't have our phone number... but they still have both of our parents' numbers, who receive calls quite regularly. I think that I would rather put up with phone calls than have them ask to use my child for research studies... unless it pays well.

Doughnut said...

If the wrote me, which they won't since I didn't attend that particular college, I would tell them in no uncertain words - actually I would probably mutter to myself the words of Al that stick in my memory banks from Home Improvement: "I don't think so Tim!" as I tear the letter up and toss in the round file.

Anonymous said...

money, money, money...... We get the calls too. Get on the DNC list or enjoy the exchange.
L
M & D

Anonymous said...

time to crashhhhhhhhh.
bye M&D

Jed and Anne said...

Surprisingly, Jed and I have not been called yet at all by NPU. We are on the national do not call list for our cellphones and home phone, but I didn't think that colleges had to abide by that. Anyway, I would be super annoyed if they were calling me, but thank goodness they haven't done that yet - it would be way obnoxious!

Melissa said...

oh my gosh, we get calls all the time. i feel bad, because i worked for phone-a-thon for a while, but it's really bad. i feel your pain! great seeing you last night, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

Here's what I found interesting...we receive calls and mailings as 'parent of alumni'. They have our name and info from the bills that required payment. That is the only communication we received from the colleges, they only want us involved when there is money owed or they think "to be had". Other than that, want to be kept up on grades, how student is doing...anything else regarding student is confidential....It is probably a Federal issue all together, and yes, I understand that the majority of college students are of legal age, yet the family financial situation is such a major player in a students costs for college/higher education, requiring parents to fully disclose via the FAFSA, yet we are permitted no further involvement....just send money!