Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Finding Dates Worth Keeping

Anyone else feeling like they went to the wrong college?

The University of Sioux Falls is going to start offering a 1 credit course on Dating. The class title is "Finding Dates Worth Keeping". The instructor is a relationship counselor and licensed therapist.

Has this what our world has come to? Needing to take classes on finding a date and keeping them? Knowing the difference between love, lust and infatuation? What's next?

I agree that many are "lost" and young people have a hard time with love/relationships but to go to the textbook and pay for college credits to take a class on it seems quite far fetched. (I am putting my foot down here, none of my kids will be going to a class on dating unless they are flipping the bill 100%, that's for sure!)

Life lessons people....there are some things classes can't just "teach you", some things your parents can't just "tell you", some things you just have to do yourself, learn on your own...it's sometimes about the life lesson involved in getting there.

What do you think? Should our universities and colleges offer classes like this?


No matter what I say, no matter what I believe and what I do,
I'm bankrupt without love. 1 Corinthians 13:3b

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abbie will not post Chris' comment, as she does not agree with it.

Megasue said...

Hmmm Simplicity...i have many thoughts about this, but central to them is this question: have we forgotten how to have relate with other people, so much so that we must take a class to "teach" us how to identify those who might be suitable for meaningful friendship, dating, or more? Why are we trying to pare relationships down to a science? Where's the wonder, the joy, and the romance? And as you alluded to from I.Corinthians, whatever happened to good, old-fashioned, love?

Anonymous said...

While I agree that the class is stupid, most colleges require some sort of "freshman seminar" class to teach you time management, etc. Which is just as inane. People are generally too naive or stupid to figure things out on their own, they'd just prefer to be told what to do. Even if the topic is dating. What can I say, people are sheep.

simplicity said...

Megan: I hear you loud and clear and it's a good point to make, is it our computer and techological age that led us to the point where we need to be taught to interact with people?????

Anonymous: Freshman Seminar classes and a class strictly on dating are very different things. I had a "freshman seminar" called Threshold...it was more or less about the ins and outs of school, my purpose of being there etc. While I agree that a freshman seminar can be very helpful and could perhaps touch on relationships, money management, life in school etc...I still find folly in the idea of a class strictly on "Finding Dates Worth Keeping"...

Anonymous said...

I think as with most things in life, it just requires a fair amount of common sense. I agree with megasue that technology has taken over so much of our lives that people can't hold a conversation any more...I think mainly because they can't say lol, ttfn, etc.
I find it interesting in dating websites that party of their slogan, like Match.com (I think), is that they "scientifically" test you to find your match. So by paying 29 a month, or whatever it costs...you get your first date out of the way without having to talk to the person.

A more cynical side would be that this licensed therapist teaching the course is doing a dis-service to her profession if a credit hour is cheaper than a normal hour of "therapy." If this catches on, and our universities are including therapy sessions like this in our normal curriculum...there are going to be a lot of un-employed therapists.

I do agree with you that the class it total folly, but my point was that there are plenty of other classes that are just as inane or silly. If colleges taught only what needed to be taught...there wouldn't be references to "underwater basket weaving" in our society. I'm just surprised that it is only 1 credit...I figure that would at least need 3 or 4 hours a week to figure out.

simplicity said...

Anonymous: I am so curious about who you are....please email me so I know.

I agree with your comment, especially the point that...much of life requires common sense.

And instead of teaching our children common sense, how to live and how to cope....they are ill prepared for life, thus needing to take a college course on it.

In regards to a therapist doing a dis-service, I am guessing (Simply guessing) that a one credit course at a state university runs from $100-$250 for the entire course...individual therapy sessions would definitely cost more than this class then.

Thanks for all your comments though :)

Anonymous said...

Why would I want to email...then I wouldn't be anonymous!

delightful-d said...

Boy, I wish this class would have been offered when I went to school. Growing up in South Dakota it was always hard to decide when use the fancy chewing tobacco or the every day stuff. Also, when belching, is the proper response, "Excuse me", or "Good one"? And when, in a relationship, do you feel comfortable enough to give her your belt buckle?

On the serious side though, I can see a benefit for a class like this. Many times kids go to college with expectations that it is all partying, and sex is always consensual. I don't know if a college course credit is the answer but many students would benefit from some form of education in this area.

The delightful-d's other half